Spruce up lentils with some delicious spices. This is a great vegan staple for your natural skincare regime. Perfect for nourishing your skin from the inside out. Remember...always soak your lentils for at least 8 hours before cooking. This will allow your body to absorb precious nutrients without putting a strain on your digestive system.
1. 1 cup dried green or yellow lentils
2. A couple of sliced carrots
3. Curry leaves.
4. Tumeric 1 tsp
5. Garam masala 1tsp
6. Black mustard seeds 1/2 tsp
7. Cumin seeds 1/2 tsp
8. 1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
9. Fresh chilli or chilli powder
10. 1 medium onion. Diced.
11. 2cm ginger. Diced
1. Soak lentils overnight or for at least 8 hours. This will activate it and allow for easier digestion. Wash, rinse and drain.
2. Heat a tbsp of olive oil.
3. Add onions, curry leaves, cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Fry till onions turn soft and both cumin and mustard seeds start to pop.
4. Add tumeric, garam masala and your desired amount of chilli powder or fresh chilli. Saute till fragrant.
5. Add the drained lentils and coat thoroughly with the spice paste over low heat.
6. Add fresh tomatoes and combine.
7. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Add carrots.
9. Pour just enough water to cover the mixture.
10. Bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and cover. Keep adding water and stir every now and again.
11. Cook till the lentils and carrots are softened. It'll take about 15 minutes over simmering heat. Keep adding just enough water every now and again, if necessary to soften the ingredients.
12. Season to taste.