Good quality custard never goes out of style. Here's one of my latest winter addictions. The custard in the recipe is so delicious and it firms up even without using cornflour.
4 egg yolks
37g castor sugar
250ml thickened cream
Store bought puff pastry
1. Heat oven to 200º C.
2. Combine cream and sugar in a small sauce pan over moderate heat and stir until just dissolved.
3. Remove from heat and let cool.
4. Whisk egg yolks then whisk them into the cooled cream mixture. Set aside.
5. Grease a 12 cup capacity muffin tray.
6. Cut a sheet of puff pastry into half.
7. From the short end roll the sheet to form a firm roll of pastry.
8. Divide the pastry into 6 sections.
9. Using a rolling pin, gentle roll out each section into roughly a 10cm diameter circle.
10. Press each circle into the muffin pan.
8. Spoon the cooled down custard and fill 2/3rd of each pastry shell.
9. Bake for approx 20 minutes until it starts to brown and caramelise at the top.
10. Let sit for several minutes before removing each tart from the pan.
11. Best eaten warm.
12. Store leftovers in an air tight container in the fridge. Warm up cold tarts in the oven at 100º C before serving.
If you have leftover custard, make a few mini versions in a mini muffin pan. One- Bite, sized portions!