This is a tasty tangy tomato based curry without coconut milk.
A perfect winter warmer.
2kg chicken thigh fillets cut into 3 cm cubes and lightly salted
10 dried chillies soaked in how water
1 red onion
5 cloves garlive
2-3 star anise
2 inch cinnamon
1 (450gm) canned tomato soup. Preferably organice
3 heaped tbsp desiccated coconut.
1.Roughly chop onion, garlic and ginger. Transfer to a food processor together with hydrated chillies. Process to a paste.
2. Heat up 2 tbsp oil in a large saucepan or wok.
3. Add cloves, cinnamon, star anise and cardamon and saute until fragrant.
4. Add the processed paste. Bring to the boil and then reduce heat. Stir over low heat and keep adding a little extra oil if it gets too dry.
5. Simmer till fragrant or till oil separates from the mixture.
6. Add chicken pieces and coat thoroughly with the fragrant spice mix.
7. Add canned tomato soup and bring to a boil.
8. Once it bubbles lower the heat to a simmer with the lid off.
9. Keep stirring every now and again.
9. Cook until the oil once again separates from the mixture or until chicken is completely cooked through. This should take roughly 20minutes.
10. Once cooked, add lime juice and desiccated coconut and mix through.
11. Season to taste.
Serve with basmati rice cooked with a dash of tumeric.